Canned Food is Good for You and the Environment
When it comes to canned foods, people are always worried they are settling for a ‘less’ healthy option.
They believe, wrongly, that canned foods do not contain the same level of nutrients and minerals that
fresh foods have. Well, here is a shocker: canned foods contain the same, if not more, nutrients as fresh
foods. Furthermore, they are good for the environment because the packaging is made of steel, which is
considered to be a permanent material.
Canned foods are a healthy option:
There are lots of misconceptions surrounding canned foods. Most people skip them completely because they believe canned foods are not healthy. However, few are aware that the fruits and vegetables they buy may not really fresh . Produce is often transported over long distances before it reaches a market near you. Fresh foods can lose their nutritive value because by the time they reach your table their
nutritive value decreases. On the other hand, fruits and vegetables are canned when they are ripe, and
the process locks in all the nutrients and minerals. Also, canned foods maintain consistency of flavor,
whereas fresh produce may lose its flavor as time passes.
A case for steel:
When it comes to sustainable packaging, canned foods are a better option. Most companies use steel to make packaging cans. Not only is the manufacturing process energy efficient, but it is also environmentally friendly.
– Steel is the most recycled material in the world. It enjoys a long lifecycle because it is a ‘permanent’ material that can be easily recycled after every use without any loss of quality.
– Zero waste is produced during the recycling process because 100% of discarded steel packaging can
– It can also be recovered easily from landfills and waste streams because it is magnetic.
– Canning foods during years when produce is bountiful can help ease future food demands.
– Steel cans are tamper-proof and sturdy which translates to less spoilage and wastage during transport and storage.
Healthy and mindful lifestyle:
Canned foods can be a cheap and healthy addition to the pantry. They are long-lasting and easy to store.
You can pop open a can of food and fix yourself a quick and tasty meal. Here are a few reasons why you should not overlook canned foods during your next supermarket haul:
– Canning seals food completely, protecting it against heat, gases, liquids, thus eliminating all chances of contamination.
– Canned foods like fish are steamed at a high temperature for hours. This eliminates all bacteria and microorganisms.
– It is largely free of preservatives and can last for a very long time
– Canned foods can also curb waste and spoilage because they are packaged in set quantities. This means you buy them in sizes suitable for your cooking needs. We hope this blog addressed a few of the questions you may have had about canned foods. We have
also compiled a list of FAQs by our customers about Oceans Secrets Canned seafood.
Need more excuses to eat seafood? Then you must read our blog Don’t Forget the Seafood while Setting